NPR mentions that without having some kind of visual aid, humans can’t walk, drive or otherwise travel in a straight line. Here’s the beautiful video about it:
And here are 5 deeply scientific reasons for this most intriguing of unexplained idiosyncrasies:
1. We’re electrons! And electrons kinda spin around?
2. We are hardwired to obey narrative edicts: the end is the beginning.
3. We are forming the boundaries of a protective circle.
4. We are programmed to not depart the familiar unless guided by specific goals.
5. We are stuck in the large, invisible and intangible flow of something liquid and leg-guiding that is descending a metaphysical drain.