- Editorial Strategist / Meati
- Media Consultant
- Deputy Editor, Digital / Stanford Social Innovation Review
- Media Director / Stanford SPARQ
- Media Consultant
- Founding Editor-in-Chief / SupChina
- Web Producer / SFARI + Spectrum
- Staff Editor (Web Producer) / The New York Times
- Web Director + Video Unit Founder + Reporter / Albuquerque Tribune
- Freelance Journalist + Grad School Reporter / Self-Employed
- Honors and awards
Editorial Strategist / Meati
January 2022 – Present
Learn more: meati.com
Content strategy, writing, editing, and multimedia production for Meati, a company selling (very delicious, nutritious, and sustainable) food made out of mycelium, the fibrous root of mushrooms.
July 2021 – January 2022
App to Organize Text Messages (‘Cat Herder’ for UX certificate)
Deputy Editor, Digital / Stanford Social Innovation Review
Learn more: ssir.org
September 2018 – July 2021, Remote
- Owned editorial product backlog for publication’s website, newsletter, and podcasts.
- Built a project management system to process 700 to 800 annual submissions.
- Oversaw digital strategy, UX, editing, web production, analytics, and CMS development.
- Managed a team of three people.
- 2018-2020: all users +38% (via search +61%, via newsletter +56%); page time +14%.
SEO CMS Tool and Processes
Academic Citation Tool
Managing Author Bylines
Media Director / Stanford SPARQ
September 2017 – September 2018, Stanford, CA
- Built project management system to produce digital toolkit (sparqtools.org).
- Oversaw communications strategy, social media, and analytics.
- Wrote, edited, and web produced digital content.
- Year-over-year growth: all users +21% (via search +14%, via social +89%).
Measuring the Factors Affecting People’s Efforts to Leave Poverty Behind
Build Your Identity Map
November 2016 – September 2017, Remote
Founding Editor-in-Chief / SupChina
Learn more: supchina.com
October 2015 – October 2016, NYC
- Co-owned product backlog for publication’s website, newsletter, app, and podcast.
- Managed content strategy, UX, submissions, editing, web production, and CMS development.
- Led a team of five people.
- Grew the audience from zero to 10k+ across channels.
Curation and Production Tool
Web Producer / SFARI + Spectrum
October 2012 – September 2015, NYC
- Owned product backlog for websites and newsletter.
- Managed RFP and requirements to move news content from sfari.org to spectrumnews.org.
- Oversaw analytics, UX, CMS development, web production, multimedia, and newsletter.
- 2012-2015: tripled traffic, doubled newsletter subscribers, and won three awards.
New Website and Content Migration
Staff Editor (Web Producer) / The New York Times
Learn more: nytimes.com/by/m-amedeo-tumolillo
January 2008 – June 2012, New York and Hong Kong
- Reported and analyzed CMS bugs in collaboration with the development team.
- Helped launch and run a global opinion blog out of the Hong Kong office.
- Reported and wrote breaking news (nytimes.com/by/m-amedeo-tumolillo).
- Produced various online sections, including the global home page.
Launch of Global Opinion Blog (Latitude)
Web Director + Video Unit Founder + Reporter / Albuquerque Tribune
Learn more: Wiki page (the newspaper closed)
November 2004 – January 2008, Albuquerque, NM
- Co-owned product backlog for the newspaper’s website
- Established and led the video unit.
- Reported and wrote news articles.
- Launched and produced a weekly podcast.
- Managed a team of two people.
Freelance Journalist + Grad School Reporter / Self-Employed
January 2001 – August 2004, New Orleans, Albuquerque, and Chicago
- Wrote about business, art, music, and crime for Medill News Service, a weekly newspaper, and online outlets.
Grad school: Community News Website (goskokie.com) and HLCM report
- Master of Science in Journalism/New Media | Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism | Evanston, Ill. | August 2004
- Bachelor of Arts in English/Creative Writing | University of Oklahoma | Norman, Okla. | July 1998
- Product strategies for journalism (Knight Center for Journalism, 2021, certificate)
- UX Design (Google, 2021)
- ✓ Course 1: Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design (certificate)
- ✓ Course 2: Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate (certificate)
- ✓ Course 3: Build Wireframes and Low-Fidelity Prototypes (certificate)
- ✓ Course 4: Conduct UX Research and Test Early Concepts (certificate)
- ✓ Course 5: Create High-Fidelity Designs and Prototypes in Figma (certificate)
- UX Foundations: Research (LinkedIn Learning, 2020, certificate)
- Six Communication Imperatives for Every Changemaker (Stanford Social Innovation Review, 2018)
- User Experience Basic Training (Nielsen Norman Group, 2014)
- Front-End Web Development (General Assembly, 2013, certificate)
Honors and awards
- In 2016, spectrumnews.org, which I helped launch with my colleagues at Spectrum News, earned a Webby Award.
- In 2013 and 2014, I was a member of the sfari.org team that won recognition from The Webby Awards, the New Media Institute and the Interactive Media Council.
- President’s Club | E.W. Scripps | Recognizes outstanding contributions | 2006
- 3rd Place | Business Writing | Associated Press Managing Editors Awards | 2006 | Winning article: The little things
- Best Detective Film | 48 Hour Film Project | For “In Linda’s Heels” | 2006
- Unsung Hero Award | The Albuquerque Tribune | Recognizes an Albuquerque Tribune employee working above and beyond the job’s requirements | 2005
- Harrington Award in New Media | Northwestern Univ. Medill School of Journalism | Given to one graduate student in each of the school’s four tracks | Recognizes the highest grade point average and promise of professional success | 2005
- Member | Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society | Membership reserved for students in the top 10 percent of their graduating class in journalism and advertising programs across the country | 2005 – present
- Screenplay competition finalist | Duke City Shootout | 2005
- Knight-Batten Awards for Innovations in Journalism | Notable Entry | GoSkokie.com | Graduate school team project | PDF report on Hyperlocal Citizens’ Media | 2004
- Short story published in “Night Terrors” magazine | 2002
- Emergency room volunteer at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital | March 2013 – May 2014 | New York City | Provide basic assistance as requested by hospital staff and patients
- Led English Conversation Classes With Chinatown Manpower Project | New York City | Aug. 26, 2010 – Oct. 21, 2010