Media Consultant, UX Education | New York | July 2021 – Present
Getting a certificate in UX design while providing freelance editing, writing, research, and digital media product management services. Connect with me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to work together.
Deputy Editor, Digital | Stanford Social Innovation Review | Remote | September 2018 – July 2021
Oversaw the selection, editing, publication, and promotion of approximately 250 essays from 700 annual submissions. Managed the content strategy, technical development, UX, and editorial flow of SSIR’s website, podcasts, newsletter, and social media channels. Collaborated with software developers, business team, and editors to conceptualize, plan, budget, launch, run, and promote digital editorial experiences. Managed a team of three people.
Media Director | Stanford SPARQ | Stanford, CA | September 2017 – September 2018
I created and implemented a communications strategy for a research center (Social Psychological Answers to Real-world Questions) at Stanford University that provides social psychological insights to people working to improve society. The main project was to help organize, build, and launch a digital toolkit (sparqtools.org); the identity mapper I built for the project has been used by organizations that provide training on equity issues. I also updated the team’s newsletter, crafted original content to connect social psychology to issues in the news, and added CTAs to the website to increase the conversion of visitors to subscribers and supporters.
Media Consultant | Remote | November 2016 – September 2017
Conceptualized, launched, managed, and optimized editorial content to build loyal and engaged audiences.
Editor-in-Chief | SupChina | New York | October 2015 – October 2016
Conceptualized and executed a content strategy for SupChina’s website, newsletter, app, podcast, and social media channels that provided daily coverage of the politics, business, and culture of China. Worked closely with development and design teams to create custom digital production tools, website presentation options, and a Mailchimp-based newsletter. Edited and produced daily newsletter, essays, multimedia content, and social media updates. Managed a team of five people.
Web Producer | Spectrum Autism Research News | New York | October 2012 – September 2015
Handled content presentation, digital production, analytics, UX, multimedia projects, newsletter, and site evolution for spectrumnews.org while overseeing freelance infographic specialists, illustrators, and photographers. Oversaw RFP and major projects involving the news team’s transition from sfari.org to spectrumnews.org. During my tenure, the team won three awards, tripled traffic, doubled the number of newsletter subscribers, and launched a new website. Here are some interactive charts I built about the health risks of adults with autism.
Web Producer/Staff Editor | The New York Times | New York / Hong Kong | January 2008 – June 2012
Reported and wrote breaking news on numerous topics (nytimes.com/by/m-amedeo-tumolillo). Produced various online sections, including global home page, to keep up with breaking news and showcase staff-produced content. Reported and analyzed CMS bugs in collaboration with the development team. Helped launch and run a global opinion section out of the Hong Kong office. TLDR note about this job: The role began in Hong Kong as a multimedia web producer with The International Herald Tribune, which The New York Times took over in full by the end of my first year with the company. At that point, a number of us were re-interviewed and hired to work in New York at The NYT’s headquarters. After more than two years there, I found my way back to Hong Kong on the opinion desk, helping launch a new online section before departing the company (after which the position I held was renamed staff editor).
Reporter/Videographer/Web Director | The Albuquerque Tribune | Albuquerque, NM | November 2004 – January 2008
Managed online and video staff, reported and wrote news articles across numerous topics, shot and edited videos, launched audio projects, executed multimedia innovations and spearheaded organization’s digital evolution. Links to my writing for The Tribune can be found here, and many of the videos I made for the paper are here.
Freelance Journalist/Grad School Reporter | New Orleans/Albuquerque/Chicago | January 2001 – August 2004
Wrote about business, art, music and crime for Medill News Service, a weekly newspaper and online outlets.
- Master of Science in Journalism | New Media | Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism | Evanston, Ill. | August 2004
- Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in English | Creative Writing | University of Oklahoma | Norman, Okla. | July 1998
- Google UX Design Certificate (begun March 12, 2021)
- ✓ Course 1: Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design (completed March 17, 2021 | certificate)
- ✓ Course 2: Start the UX Design Process: Empathize, Define, and Ideate (completed April 11, 2021 | certificate)
- Course 3: Build Wireframes and Low-Fidelity Prototypes
- Course 4: Conduct UX Research and Test Early Concepts
- Course 5: Create High-Fidelity Designs and Prototypes in Figma
- Course 6: Responsive Web Design in Adobe XD
- Course 7: Design for Social Good and Prepare for Jobs
- UX Foundations: Research (LinkedIn Learning): January 2020 (certificate)
- Six Communication Imperatives for Every Changemaker (Stanford Social Innovation Review): January 2018
- User Experience Basic Training (Nielsen Norman Group): August 2014
- General Assembly’s Front-End Web Development Course: October 2013 – December 2013 (certificate)
Honors and awards
- In 2016, spectrumnews.org, which I helped launch with my colleagues at Spectrum News, earned a Webby Award.
- In 2013 and 2014, I was a member of the sfari.org team that won recognition from The Webby Awards, the New Media Institute and the Interactive Media Council.
- President’s Club | E.W. Scripps | Recognizes outstanding contributions | 2006
- 3rd Place | Business Writing | Associated Press Managing Editors Awards | 2006 | Winning article: The little things
- Best Detective Film | 48 Hour Film Project | For “In Linda’s Heels” | 2006
- Unsung Hero Award | The Albuquerque Tribune | Recognizes an Albuquerque Tribune employee working above and beyond the job’s requirements | 2005
- Harrington Award in New Media | Northwestern Univ. Medill School of Journalism | Given to one graduate student in each of the school’s four tracks | Recognizes the highest grade point average and promise of professional success | 2005
- Member | Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society | Membership reserved for students in the top 10 percent of their graduating class in journalism and advertising programs across the country | 2005 – present
- Screenplay competition finalist | Duke City Shootout | 2005
- Knight-Batten Awards for Innovations in Journalism | Notable Entry | GoSkokie.com | Graduate school team project | PDF report on Hyper-Local Citizens’ Media | 2004
- Short story published in “Night Terrors” magazine | 2002
- Emergency room volunteer at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital | March 2013 – May 2014 | New York City | Provide basic assistance as requested by hospital staff and patients
- Led English Conversation Classes With Chinatown Manpower Project | New York City | Aug. 26, 2010 – Oct. 21, 2010