Editorial strategist, former New York Times and Stanford University editor, founding EIC of a publication about China, and content manager who conceptualizes, builds, and runs high-quality info operations.
Editorial Strategist | Meati Foods (meati.com) | 12/2021 – 11/2023 (RIF), Remote
- Analyzed business opportunities and decisions to evaluate impacts on corporate narrative.
- Wrote essays, emails, and other communications on behalf of executives.
- Prepared executives for interviews.
- Wrote copy for packaging, website, advertising channels, and social media.
- Created and managed a style manual to help the marketing team adhere to brand and legal guidelines.
- Developed and managed internal communication tools, procedures, and content.
Deputy Editor, Digital | Stanford Social Innovation Review (ssir.org) | 9/2018 – 7/2021, Remote
- Oversaw and executed digital content strategy, production, and analytics.
- Built a content calendar and project management system to process ~750 annual submissions.
- Edited hundreds of articles on social change, philanthropy, and nonprofit management.
- Managed development and maintenance of the publication’s website, newsletter, and podcasts.
- Managed a team of three people.
Media Director | Stanford SPARQ (sparq.stanford.edu) | 9/2017 – 9/2018, Stanford, CA
- Conceptualized and executed content strategy for a research center at Stanford University.
- Edited and authored articles on social change.
- Oversaw digital production, newsletter, website, and analytics.
- Collaborated with UX designers and Stanford researchers to craft a digital toolkit (sparqtools.org).
Media Consultant (Strategy, Production, Research) | Various Clients | 11/2016 – 9/2017, Remote
Founding Editor-in-Chief | The China Project (thechinaproject.com) | 10/2015 – 10/2016, NYC
- Defined and executed content strategy, and built and managed a team of five people.
- Edited and produced all content and advanced CMS capabilities.
- Managed development and maintenance of the publication’s website, newsletter, app, and podcast.
Web Producer | SFARI (sfari.org) / Spectrum (spectrumnews.org) | 10/2012 – 9/2015, NYC
- Oversaw multimedia content, UX, digital production, and newsletter.
- Managed development and maintenance of the organization’s websites and newsletter.
- The team tripled traffic, doubled newsletter subscribers, and won three awards during my tenure.
Staff Editor/Web Producer | The New York Times | 1/2008 – 6/2012, NYC, Hong Kong
- Reported and wrote breaking news (nytimes.com/by/m-amedeo-tumolillo).
- Proofread content, helped launch a global opinion section, and digitally produced various verticals.
- Reported and analyzed CMS bugs in collaboration with the development team.
Web Director / Videographer / Reporter | The Albuquerque Tribune | 11/2004 – 1/2008, Albuquerque, NM
- Reported and wrote hundreds of news articles.
- Established and led the video unit.
- Launched a podcast on weekend entertainment.
- Oversaw development and maintenance of the newspaper’s website.
- Managed a team of two people.
Education and Training:
- Master of Science in Journalism/New Media, Northwestern University (2004)
- Bachelor of Arts in English/Creative Writing, University of Oklahoma (1998)
- UX: Google (2021), LinkedIn Learning (2020), and Nielsen Norman Group (2014)
- Front-End Web Development: General Assembly (2013)