Deputy Editor, Digital | Stanford Social Innovation Review | September 2018 – Present
Oversee SSIR’s website and digital projects, edit essays and multimedia features, and manage social media channels.
Media Consultant/Director | Stanford SPARQ | September 2017 – September 2018
Create and implement the media strategy for a research center (Social Psychological Answers to Real-world Questions) at Stanford University that aims to empower professionals with the insights of social psychology.
Media Consultant (various clients) | November 2016 – September 2017
Founding Editor-in-Chief | SupChina | New York | October 2015 – October 2016
I served as the first editorial leader of a small team that built a website, newsletter, apps for iOS and Android, and social media presences aiming to collectively become the world’s best destination for keeping up with and understanding China. I established and executed an editorial strategy that built a committed audience of China watchers through curation, original content and strategic partnerships, including collaborations with the Sinica Podcast and Michael Yamashita. I directly oversaw or managed every part of the publication outside of pure business concerns, from commissioning and editing essays, articles and artwork, to scheduling a three-person staff to negotiating contracts. In November of 2016, after ensuring a smooth transition to my replacement, I became an editorial consultant to the company to allow time to pursue additional opportunities.
Web Producer | Spectrum Autism Research News | New York | October 2012 – September 2015
Developed and managed freelance illustrators, photographers and infographic specialists while handling content presentation, multimedia projects, user experience, and site maintenance and evolution for spectrumnews.org, an editorially independent news division within the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative. During my tenure, the team won three awards, tripled traffic, more than doubled the number of newsletter subscribers and launched a new website. I particularly enjoyed putting together this slideshow about children on the spectrum and the interactive charts in this article about connections between autism and other health problems.
Staff Editor | The New York Times | New York / Hong Kong | January 2008 – June 2012
This position called upon my editorial chops in all mediums, from text to video to audio, and occasionally offered me the opportunity to exercise my coding skills. I reported breaking news on a variety of topics, helped launch a global opinion section out of the Hong Kong office, put together slideshows on the fly, oversaw online updates for just about every section, researched and prepared photos, and served as the final reviewer of content reaching the millions of visitors to nytimes.com. Links to my writing for The Times can be found here, and several of the videos I made for the paper are here.
Reporter / Videographer / Web Director | The Albuquerque Tribune | Albuquerque, N.M. | November 2004 – January 2008
Managed online and video staff, reported and wrote news articles across numerous topics, shot and edited videos, launched audio projects, executed multimedia innovations and spearheaded organization’s digital evolution. Links to my writing for The Tribune can be found here, and many of the videos I made for the paper are here.
Freelance Journalist / Graduate School Reporter | New Orleans / Albuquerque / Chicago | January 2001 – August 2004
Wrote about business, art, music and crime for Medill News Service, a weekly newspaper and online outlets.
- Master of Science in Journalism | New Media | Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism | Evanston, Ill. | August 2004
- Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in English | Creative Writing | University of Oklahoma | Norman, Okla. | July 1998
- Six Communication Imperatives for Every Changemaker (Stanford Social Innovation Review): January 2018
- User Experience Basic Training (Nielsen Norman Group): August 2014
- General Assembly’s Front-End Web Development Course: October 2013 – December 2013
Honors and awards
- In 2016, spectrumnews.org, which I helped launch with my colleagues at Spectrum News, earned a Webby Award.
- In 2013 and 2014, I was a member of the sfari.org team that won recognition from The Webby Awards, the New Media Institute and the Interactive Media Council.
- President’s Club | E.W. Scripps | Recognizes outstanding contributions | 2006
- 3rd Place | Business Writing | Associated Press Managing Editors Awards | 2006 | Winning article: The little things
- Best Detective Film | 48 Hour Film Project | For “In Linda’s Heels” | 2006
- Unsung Hero Award | The Albuquerque Tribune | Recognizes an Albuquerque Tribune employee working above and beyond the job’s requirements | 2005
- Harrington Award in New Media | Northwestern Univ. Medill School of Journalism | Given to one graduate student in each of the school’s four tracks | Recognizes the highest grade point average and promise of professional success | 2005
- Member | Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society | Membership reserved for students in the top 10 percent of their graduating class in journalism and advertising programs across the country | 2005 – present
- Screenplay competition finalist | Duke City Shootout | 2005
- Knight-Batten Awards for Innovations in Journalism | Notable Entry | GoSkokie.com | Graduate school team project | PDF report on Hyper-Local Citizens’ Media | 2004
- Short story published in “Night Terrors” magazine | 2002
- Emergency room volunteer at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital | March 2013 – May 2014 | New York City | Provide basic assistance as requested by hospital staff and patients
- Led English Conversation Classes With Chinatown Manpower Project | New York City | Aug. 26, 2010 – Oct. 21, 2010